• September 30, 2017 at 2:39 pm #924
      Dave Burt
      Keymaster

Reply to this topic to post your chemistry results on the 2017 Chardonnay and any planned adjustments to balance the must. YAN test numbers will also be posted under this topic.

• September 30, 2017 at 7:28 pm #926
      Don Graham
      Participant

Brix 22.6
      Ph 3.42
      TA 5.6
      YAN 28
      I will add some tartaric acid
      I have frozen the pressed juice

• September 30, 2017 at 7:43 pm #927
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Brix 21.8
      pH 3.39 – 3.4
      TA 5.8
      YAN 46.55

Sample taken from bladder press of Bill Greaves grapes

Please post your numbers to help us verify our testing accuracy

• October 1, 2017 at 12:15 am #929
      Ron Ramsdale
      Participant

The 2 YAN tests have a fair spread and are very low. Is this a concern for other participants? The YAN calculator shows some heavy feeding if using the CY3079.

• October 1, 2017 at 12:58 am #930
      Anonymous
      Inactive

The Yan is very low and difficult to measure. To reach the end point only required 0.25 ml NaOH. Don and Dave are using a slightly higher strength solution than I am, so they would use even less NaOH (small drops). After Dave does the test you should take an average if you like. Plan to use quite a lot of nutrient and keep a close eye on the ferment, maybe change yeasts or lower the Brix if you are really concerned, your knowledge and experience are likely greater than mine.

• October 1, 2017 at 9:36 am #933
      Dave Burt
      Keymaster

I pressed off my Chardonnay this afternoon and did chemistry on clear juice from the free-run and press-run fractions. Results were as follows:

FREE-RUN
      Brix 22.0
      pH 3.49
      TA 5.3 (done twice – same result)
      YAN 28

PRESS-RUN
      Brix 21.9
      pH 3.75 (tannins in press-run buffering the pH?)
      TA 5.9
      YAN 28
      It basically only took 4 drops of NaOH to reach the end point on the YAN test.
      Average YAN from Don, Ian, and myself = 34

This is extremely low. It am thinking of pre-loading the must with some Fermaid-O.

• October 1, 2017 at 4:10 pm #934
      Cindy Scott
      Participant

Our grapes went directly to the freezer; therefore have no numbers to post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.