• September 30, 2023 at 2:49 pm #3776
      Dave Burt

      The 2023 Pinot Gris is from Nk’Mip Vineyards in Oliver. It was picked on September 21 and was scheduled for pickup by Clark Freightways on Friday September 22nd. However, due to different Clark offices not communicating with each other the grapes were not picked up. The next scheduled pickup by Clark was Tuesday September 26, which meant they sat for 4 days before they were picked up, upon which time they were in Clark’s cooler service (1 – 6 Celsius). Jeff moved the bins outside in the evenings to take advantage of the night temperatures, and into his shed in the day to try and keep them cool. He also sprinkled KMS over the surface to try and keep the grapes in better shape.

      The saga with Clark continued on Thursday September 28th, when we assembled to setup in preparation for processing these grapes, only to learn that they were not put on the evenings barge and would come until the next day (Friday, September 29).

      When we finally did receive these grapes on the Friday, they were the worst I have ever seen in 11 years bringing in grapes for the club. The grapes were brown from oxidation and there were smells of VA and acetic acid, and much of the juice had leaked out and sat on the bottom of the bin.

      Is it possible to make wine from these grapes? We will see.

      What are you doing to salvage these grapes? 200 ppm SO2 up front? Very short settling time? Killer yeast (e.g., EC118)? Please post your efforts (along with Brix, pH, TA). Let’s maintain a discussion to see if anyone is having success.


    • September 30, 2023 at 4:59 pm #3777
      Ron Ramsdale

      Added Lafazym to the pails before crushing.
      Pressed 4 hrs after crush
      Added Casei and Lysozyme
      pH 3.82
      TA 9.6
      YAN 93
      Racked once and now on ice to allow to fall a little clearer.
      It is starting to look better
      Not sure what I am going to do with the high pH and high acid

    • September 30, 2023 at 5:01 pm #3778
      Ron Ramsdale

      Sorry. The YAN for the Gris was 223 and NOT 93

    • October 1, 2023 at 12:33 pm #3781
      Willem Wyngaards

      Ph 3.87
      °Bx 24.2
      TA 7.34 g/L
      Added Lysozyme and C Max
      Yeast QA23
      May add tartaric acid to lower pH!?

    • October 1, 2023 at 12:46 pm #3783
      Willem Wyngaards

      Temperature of the grapes in the bin 32°C (90°F)

    • October 2, 2023 at 11:24 am #3786
      Don Gillingham

      Friday. Added 150 ppm SO2 at crush
      Pressed about 4 – 5 hours later
      Added lysozyme and pectic enzyme and immediately put in fridge at 3C
      Monday. Large amount of dirty ‘foam’ on top, then juice layer then dregs.
      Racked off juice, only about 35 litres. Hesitant to worry about freezing mixture of foam and dregs.
      Back into fridge. will take a sample for analysis later.

    • October 2, 2023 at 7:38 pm #3791
      Don Gillingham

      Settled juice at room temp:
      pH 3.44
      Brix 23.0
      TA 9.9

      persistent vinegar…. Feels too far gone to make wine.

    • October 3, 2023 at 8:08 am #3794
      Ron Ramsdale

      Note: the YAN number I provided on my first post is incorrect. The new kit has a different solution and instruction from previous ones used. The number would be half of what I stated. YAN is closer to 111.

    • October 3, 2023 at 6:13 pm #3796
      Willem Wyngaards

      Malic Acid 0.47 g/L, Malolactic wild ferment??
      Volume After pressing 59.5 l then lost 11.5 l of muck, very dark brown juice.l
      Added Polycaceal
      Yeast Dv10
      This one may only be good for the still.

    • October 4, 2023 at 10:07 pm #3799
      Gloria Bell

      I was first on the list so received the grapes on the top. Heavy browning and smell of VA. Also received the last of the grapes (I took the extra) and they smelled of vinegar.

      Crushed the grapes but did not press off right away with the club press. Sulphited to 100ppm and put in the shade. When I got home to press off there were larvae crawling all over the top of the must in every single bucket (Not sure how to post a photo). Perhaps fruit fly larvae? Sulfited with another 100ppm. Pressed off and had to strain the larvae out when racking. Added some optimum white antioxidant and innoculated with EC118 and some lees of d47 and VIN13 (all in different containers) to get the ferments kicked off ASAP. Added .2g/L of lysozyme. Smell got a little better but the taste of the must has not improved. Ferments are outside as I do not want that microbiome active in my home.

      Skins were soft and mushy and at least half of the juice is mud that wont settle even at 3C in the fridge. Wild ferment active.

      Juice has lots of colour but is also very brown. Nose very muted and the taste is acetic.

      It’s not looking favourable for a positive outcome.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.