• September 23, 2017 at 5:18 pm #901
    D Burt
    Keymaster

    Reply to this topic to post your chemistry results on the Jesse Grove Zin. YAN test numbers will also be posted under this topic.

    YAN Results:
    Don 210
    Dave 168
    Mean 189

    • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by D Burt.
    • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by D Burt.
  • September 23, 2017 at 10:58 pm #905
    Don Graham
    Participant

    Brix 28
    Ph 3.7
    TA 6.5
    YAN 210

  • September 23, 2017 at 11:39 pm #906
    Cindy Scott
    Participant

    Friday Sept 23 2:00pm
    Brix 28.6
    As I am making port wine from some of the zin grapes, I removed approx. 125lbs must to another primary.
    To the remaining must, I added 13 litres of acidulated water. As I didn’t know the ph/acid yesterday, I didn’t follow the common practice of adding 7 grams of tartaric acid per 1 litre of water. I added 70 grams.
    9:30pm – I put a juice sample into the fridge to settle overnight for testing Saturday.
    Saturday Sept 24
    12:30pm
    16 degrees
    Brix 24.4
    SG 1.103
    3:00pm
    Ph 3.64
    Acid 7.0
    Pitching D254 yeast

    • September 24, 2017 at 2:59 am #908
      D Burt
      Keymaster

      Hi Cindy,
      Do you have pre-adjustment numbers for TA and pH?

  • September 24, 2017 at 3:06 am #909
    D Burt
    Keymaster

    Shep is taking care of our Zin so this afternoon I went over and tested some juice settled overnight and got the following pre-adjustment results:
    Brix 27
    pH 3.81
    TA 4.5
    YAN 168

    My acid seems low compared with Don’s so hopefully others post here is well

    • September 24, 2017 at 4:26 pm #911
      Cindy Scott
      Participant

      No. I don’t have numbers prior to adding the acidulated water.
      My past experience with fermenting Lodi zin, is that when the Brix is high, the acid is typically low, so I knew I was safe adding some acid with the water.

  • September 24, 2017 at 6:58 pm #912
    Doug Markin
    Participant

    I clarified my juice sample through a Melita coffee filter. Juice temperature 20 deg C

    My numbers are as follows: S.G. 1.106, Brix 24.6 (27.8 unfiltered), pH 3.79, TA 5.5

    The first thing I found this morning was a strong smell of ethyl acetate. I sprayed cap with sulphite and punched the cap down. VA smell disappeared.

  • September 27, 2017 at 3:44 pm #913
    Cindy Scott
    Participant

    Sunday night – cap up – starting to ferment, 20 deg C. Added first feeding (Fermaid K & O).
    Monday – sweet smell all day, final numbers at end of the day were 1.090, temp 22 deg C.
    Tuesday 6:30 am – woke up to garage smell of rotten egg. Garage temp was 19 deg C.
    Must temp was 33 deg C. SG was 1.052. Added 2nd & 3rd feeding and 4 more cap’s of B5.
    Areated the must. Added two bags of ice to the must. Pushed down every two hours.
    1:00pm. Smelling much better but still detecting egg. Temp down to 28 deg C. SG 1.042. Added 12 g for Fermaid O. Punched down hourly.
    7:15 pm – temp back up to 31 deg C. SG 1.030. Garage door wide open all day. Moved drum outside.
    10:00pm – temp down to 28 deg C. Still slight smell of egg. Flavour ok – different than grapes for port barrel but am using different yeast for port. Moved drum back inside, left garage door partially open all night, drum beside opening.
    Wednesday 5:30am – Mike couldn’t detect any egg smell in garage or in must. Temp was 32 deg C. he moved drum outside.
    7:30 – temp 25 deg C. SG 1.015. I can still detect some egg. Will do more aerating today.

    The zin grapes for port barrel – fermenting sweet, temperature never above 28 deg C.
    Reached SG of 1.035 last night – so brandy was added, moved outside to stop ferment.
    All well this morning.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.