• October 11, 2015 at 4:29 am #586
      Dave Burt
      Keymaster

Most people I have spoken to have had various levels of VA on the Syrah, both prior and during the ferment. The tell-tale sign is the smell of nail polish (ethyl acetate) coming off the must. On my ferment this smell was detected on the cap but disappeared once punched down, only to reappear as the cap rose again.

I implemented the following protocol as suggested by James:
      * Hit the ferment with 50 ppm of SO2 and stir in. Check a few hours later to see if the smell is gone.
      * If not, hit it with another 50 ppm SO2 an stir in. Check again a few hours later.
      * Keep adding SO2 in increments until the smell is gone.

I reached 130 ppm (+ the 30 ppm added at crush time) before the smell was finally gone. Amazingly, the D254 yeast charged ahead through all this. James indicated that the aceto-bacter are more sensitive to SO2 than yeast.

Seems to have worked. Anyone else have any suggestions and comments on dealing with VA. I think it is good for all to have a working strategy ahead of time so that when it happens we know what steps to take.

• November 14, 2015 at 8:22 pm #639
      Albert Tomasson
      Participant

I am 2 days into fermentation on the this Syrah. After a 1 month freezer storage ( 30ppm SO2 pre storage) and 7 day cold soak (+ 30ppm SO2 post thaw) no VA noticed at innoculation with D21 on Nov. 12. Tragically TA and Ph analysis has been problematic in that new labware has had to be returned to manufacture as defective. I managed to obtain a Ph of 4 but no titration. My best guess was to lower Ph with 1 gm / Lt. Tartaric with a further analysis pinning it at 3.55, I ‘ll live with that for the time being. If anyone has numbers please post here so I have some reference on TA.
      Thanks

• November 16, 2015 at 7:37 pm #640
        Dave Burt
        Keymaster

Hi Albert,
        See “Syrah – Chemistry and Balancing” topic for what others got for pH and TA for the Syrah. This might help in the absence of a pH meter.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.