• October 15, 2016 at 5:18 am #779
      Dave Burt
      Keymaster

The 2016 Pinot Gris was from a small Vineyard in Summerland (Rakeb Vineyard). These grapes were picked on October 12 and arrived at the Cavallotti Lodge on the morning of October 14th.

A sample of these grapes sent to Penticton Wine Lab gave a YAN of 178 mg N/L

Post your chemistry and balancing notes for the 2016 Pinot Gris here.

• October 16, 2016 at 12:42 am #781
      Bill Greaves
      Participant

SG 1100
      pH 3.3
      TA 7.9

WE(Bill)Greaves
      Saanich Sommeliers

• October 16, 2016 at 5:03 pm #784
      Dave Burt
      Keymaster

I pressed my Pinot Gris off at home after a 24 hr cold soak. Chemistry on the clear press-run fraction gave the following:
      Brix 24.6 (SG 1.104), pH 3.56, TA 6.7

I gave the juice 48 hrs to settle then racked off the clear stuff on top and put the sludge in the freezer for putting through Duane’s cryo-extraction later on. Chemistry on the clear free and press-run combined gave:

Brix 24.2 (SG 1.102), pH 3.68, TA 6.7

I added 0.6 g/L of tartaric acid dissolved in 1.2 L of acidified water for 30 L of juice. Brix came down to 23.5 and pH 3.44. Did not get to measuring the TA however it is predicted to increase 7.3 mg/L. Fermenting with D47 yeast.

I had some H2S in the morning after pitching the yeast but this cleared up within a couple of hrs after adding the first nutrient feeding. I also added half a capsule of vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) as per Peter’s recommendation at our last meeting.

• October 18, 2016 at 1:08 am #786
      Doug Markin
      Participant

I pressed my Pinot Gris at home after 6 hours of cold soak and allowed the juice to settle in an ice bath for two days. Chemistry on the clarified juice sample gave the following:

Brix 23.37
      SG 1.106
      pH: 3.55
      TA: 6.8
      Sample Temperature 21 C

I ran the tests twice on two separate samples and came up with the exact same numbers each time. With the pH being so high, would it be a good idea to adjust the TA up so that the pH is closer to the desired range for a White wine?? Any advice would be appreciated as this is my first attempt at Pinot Gris.

• October 18, 2016 at 2:00 am #787
      Peter Huyghebaert
      Participant

Doug – a .5g/l tartaric addition probably wouldn’t hurt. This should bring you TA up to 7.3 and your pH below 3.5. Some acid will drop out during cold stabilization so you should then end up with about 6.5-7 for a TA and a pH below 3.5, which is desirable

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.